30 November 2010

Thanksgiving success!

Walter and I became very friendly with our bird friend over Thanksgiving weekend. Thanks to a very thoughtful friend, I sported my pink frilly rubber gloves and my fingers never actually had to feel the slimy turkey innards. What a brilliant idea!


We massaged. We salted. We bagged. It was truly a team effort, and I probably was the weak link in the team. Walter was my turkey hero!!

Sometimes life actually happens in a picture perfect way. The one element that never even made it near my Thanksgiving planning list appeared just as we pulled the turkey out of the oven. I peeked in at our bird friend one last time and realized the turkey thermometer read the magic number 180.

Simultaneously, someone shouted, "It's snowing!"

Perfect. The ingredient only God could provide arrived at the exact right moment.
We sat down to enjoy our dinner next to the cabin's large picture windows and watched huge flakes drift over the hill and I breathed a huge sigh of successful relief.
Rock Castle we love you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Picture perfect, indeed. It looks like it was a wonderful family gathering! Good job with the turkey :)

GramsC said...

It was the most perfect looking turkey we have ever had at the cabin. (I can say this since I am the retired cook.) But I still say, "It is cruel for Walter to "massage" the turkey, get it all relaxed, and then pop it in the oven to eat!" And wouldn't the photo of Angie using Asher's boot to "bruise" the garlic add to the readers awe of this wonderful meal??? It was a perfect meal. I savored every bite.