03 January 2011

Story of 2010

I still hate New Years resolutions. Ok, hate is a strong word. But I strongly dislike the band wagon of making promises that will soon be forgotten. Every year I fight the desire to make lists, just because making lists is fun, and the pull towards contemplation over what life ideally could be like.

Until I read Don Miller's challenge to live a good story. Live a good story by planning a good story.

So last January, I wrote the story I wanted to live in 2010, and surprisingly, this story stuck in my mind throughout all of the year. I remembered the details of what I wanted my life to be throughout the year, and the story I lived looks fairly similar to the one I told.

The January 2010 story envisioned
  • Living in a new house with an open kitchen (check!)
  • Being published in a place I can physically hold (check! Thanksgiving Tales)
  • Reading more books (check! Thank you Book Club!)
  • Intentionally spending date time with Walter (little checks, but still needs work for a big check)
  • Running a race (umm...thanks to Baby #3, uncheck)
After we moved, my running became more regular, I found a great route and my body started to get into the routine of waking early, lacing up shoes, and pushing itself towards running longer distances...and then the morning sickness began. I know running during pregnancy can be just fine, but with my clumsy feet that trip over every crack and bump in the sidewalk I never trust myself to run while carrying a baby (inside or outside). So this goal was postponed.

The story of 2010 turned out way better than I could have hoped.

Later this week I hope to put together the story I want to live in 2011.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Angie -- congratulations on Thanksgiving Tales! It looks wonderful, and I am so excited for you. Way to go!