21 May 2009

When I grow up

What did you dream of becoming as you grew up? The toss-up for me was between a writer and a pilot. When I realized that being a pilot would greatly reduce the time I would be at home with my family, I whole-heartedly decided that a writer was my dream job.

Reality hit in my later years of high school (or dad's insistence that I do something practical won!), the writing dream was put on hold, and I became a business/econ major. So ended my childhood dreams of what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Walter and I used to dream about the career adult Asher would have as we pushed him in his stroller along the trail. Of course we thought of the usual prestigious careers such as doctor, lawyer, actuary (?Walter!), journalist (?Angie!), but we never imagined some of the ones Asher now dreams about.

It will come as no surprise that he dreams of being a rockstar. We still don't know who he has seen rockin' and rollin' like a crazy person, but Asher loves to play his guitar while screaming and dancing around the house.

Another dream of his is to be a firefighter putting out fires and rescuing the world from danger! Grams brought him a fire helmet a few weeks ago and so now his head is protected as he fights the fires that frequently break out in our neighborhood.


A new dream is to be an artist. We saw an artist spraypainting a picture of Spiderman at last week's Farmer's Market which was a huge inspiration to Asher. Just call him the post-it artist!

The most interesting one is his passion for furniture delivery. We had some furniture delivered several months ago, including Asher's bedroom suite. He carefully watched the men put his bed together but I didn't realize the impact it would make on him! We frequently hear him talking about how he wants to have a big belly (?!) so he can be a strong furniture delivery man!

I don't know when practicality takes over career dreams, but I can't wait to see where all of this creativity takes my boy!

3 comments:

Becky Ifft said...

Maybe he will be an actor! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the KISS homage in the guitar picture! Rock On, Asher!!! :0)

~ Laura O

Beth Sethi said...

What about professional cleaner? Is he still into house cleaning or has that phase passed? I read your fireman post too. If there ever really is a fire and Asher tries to warn everyone, no one will believe him! Oh well, I guess that doesn't matter since it sounds like he's pretty good at putting them out.