30 October 2009

The Movie Angie

I seriously used to think someone secretly followed me around documenting my life for a movie. Not because I believed my life to be so exciting, but more because I felt like everything I did was typical and would be interesting if anyone cared about the life of an average Illinois girl.

But no one does care about the average unconflicted life. Characters must be compelling and overcome conflict.

We listened to Donald Miller speak last night. I loved his book "Blue Like Jazz," so when I heard his 65 city tour included a stop in our little town, I immediately knew I would be in the audience. His funny poignant and carpe diem type challenge encouraged me to live my life like I imagine the movie-Angie would live.

Real life Angie avoids conflict because of the work, pain, time, and sacrifice it involves. Movie Angie plunges into the conflict (otherwise known as life) to live full days of no regrets.

Real life Angie quits her knitting washcloth project because my purl stitches still look exactly like my knit stitches.

Movie Angie determines to make washcloths for Christmas presents to force herself to perfect the craft (don't worry family, I don't even have time to attempt that - this year!).

Real life Angie abandons her dream of writing a book because I have no platform, I'm just...well me.

Movie Angie wakes up early every morning forcing herself to sit at the keyboard because of a love of creating words on the page.

Real life Angie dreads the practicality issues of leaving a nursing baby for day long adventures in Chicago.

Movie Angie can't wait to spend time with her sister and experience the surprises of the city.

Real life Angie's heart aches for orphans but knows the drawn out process of adoption is expensive and could take years.

Movie Angie plunges into adoption embracing diversity and identifying with God's heart.

Real life Angie rushes inside when coming home late at night.

Movie Angie pauses before going inside to see the incredible star filled sky. Musical Angie might even break into song praising God for those stars. But in my movie I still can't sing well so maybe I'll just speak my praise.

OK. So my life, my story, would never make a blockbuster movie (especially that knitting thing) but I do hope that every once in a while, real life Angie remembers to make the choices that movie Angie would make.

What choice would that be today?

No comments: