10 May 2010

Crazy bunny

We watched a bunny hop all around our yard yesterday. Asher chased it to the fence, then towards the garage and around to the patio. As they ran in a circle, the bunny passed several escape routes that I had seen bunnies take in the past. It missed the chance to dart under the fence. It didn't slip around the garage into the alley. And didn't even head under the pine tree to escape through branches a little boy couldn't fit through.

Instead this bunny relied on its swiftness and ability to dodge around in a crazy pattern that even brought it dangerously close to me on the patio.

I couldn't figure out what this seemingly insane bunny was doing and why it didn't just run out of the yard. Until Walter suggested she was a mommy bunny.

Then it made complete sense. Not that she was acting insanely - although I can testify for moments of insanity as a mother, but that she risked anything to protect her babies.

She risked getting caught by a four year old and endured the chase which could have ended if she just made the turns she used to take.

And I can relate to her. Being a mother changes the game entirely. What used to be no brainer choices for comfort have changed into no brainer choices that regularly lead to discomfort.

I take those risks that I would have avoided at all costs five years ago. And avoid some risks like the plague because of a new perspective.

Whoever is watching my choices today, don't mistake me for a crazy bunny not making wise choices, but as a mom who sometimes makes crazy choices because they are made with two little people in mind.

No comments: