28 May 2010

Knitting our Love Nest

Does anyone else feel guilty when they read marriage advice suggesting couples spend time together away from the kids?

Walter and I are not good about taking date nights.
We don't have family close by available so we can regularly get away for a weekend and taking an extended amount of time away together is unheard of. These factors made our week long getaway to San Diego such a treat!

On our way to the airport, we wondered what the week would be like and agreed it would test the progress of our love nest.

The leaders of our previous small group became empty nesters during our years in the group. We loved their insistence on calling their empty nest a love nest. Ok, a little cheesy I admit, but we love them and love the intentionality they put into their marriage to end up with a love nest now that their girls are grown.

Before we got to the airport, I explained the knitting project I hoped to make much progress on during the week. Walter and I discussed how our trip represented some concentrated efforts towards knitting together that love nest we hope to have in what seems like a lifetime from now when the kids are on their own.

Now that we're back home into crazy schedules of packing and getting ready for our move, the progress on my knitting project has slowed way down. But I hope the momentum from those long airplane rides and hours at the beach while Walter attended his seminars will keep me going to finish Amelie's little dress.

And I hope the stitches Walter and I made of laying on the beach, exploring tide pools, and enjoying wonderful restaurants will prove to be beautiful strands in the love nest we are working on together.

No comments: