23 April 2008

Spring in an Old House

It seems like everyone loves spring these days. Of course we do! How could we not be excited about sunshine, warmth, and the beautiful tulips blooming? Honestly though, spring has always been my favorite season, so I was in for a real treat when I experienced the first spring in this old house. Not knowing what all was planted around our yard, I was overwhelmingly happy when the tulips began to bloom in clusters up and down our driveway that first year we lived in this 80 year old plus house.

Every spring I like to imagine about how many years those bulbs have produced beautiful blooms and what the lives were like of the people who lived here each time they opened. Maybe some of those years the tulips appeared at just the right time when the families before us needed something good in their lives and some years, those flowers may have been an added bonus to celebrations they already were experiencing.

In the almost 5 years that I've been watching the green shoots poke out under cloudy gray skies and then a few weeks later burst into reds, yellows, pinks, and purples, these flowers have accented my life as well. Three years ago when Asher was born in March, the tulips were an outside display of the joy we had inside (and were also a bright spot when my tired eyes were bleary from being awake through the night).

This year, the tulips represent hope. I've been reminded that God is faithful and that all things are renewed - even lives that have gone through wintery periods.

3 comments:

Danae said...

Hey Angie, could you email me your phone number when you get a chance at pazati@verizon.net

Thanks,
Danae

Anonymous said...

Angie! I love the tulips!! I can't believe you've been there for 5 years. I remember hearing about the home for the first time!Keep planting a few extra bulbs every year and you'll certainly come to thank yourself in the Spring. Thanks for sharing. Jamie

Becky Ifft said...

I can't believe it has been five years either! Time goes so fast. You are lucky to have such beautiful flowers to come home to every day!
love you!