13 July 2010

Are we there yet?

Do you know that feeling of being in the car too long?

With 2 20 hour car trips in the past five months, I know that feeling all too well. About 8 hours into the drive, we begin to sing a little louder than we would have 5 hours ago. Little noises that fellow passengers subconsciously make begin to grate on my nerves and I hold my breath just anticipating the next time I'll hear that next little sniff or snort.

Everything becomes super funny. That road sign for a Dairy Bar suddenly strikes a chord of hilarity that didn't exist a few hundred miles back up the road.

Toys meant for entertainment in the car lose their appeal and the baby's toys create great fun.

Whether I'm driving or a passenger, that "been in the car too long" feeling becomes so intense that it feels like I must get out of the car immediately. And if I can't get out of the car, then the singing gets even louder and conversations become more wacky than even those held around a campfire at wee hours of the morning.

We counted water towers all across the plains of this great country. Some have little roof hats and others are just cute and little.

I sang songs to a baby girl who refused to give in to sleep while she petted her new stuffed wolf and sucked hard on the pacifier.

Snacks, oh we had snacks! Raisins, and cheese crackers, and cereal bars with promises of popsicles when we finally got home.

Colorado was beautiful and I'm chuckling watching Asher try to find something to climb now that we're back in our flat Illinois backyard, but the road trip is something I am glad to leave behind.

We've declared, a ban on traveling. We will not spend more than 20 minutes in our Jeep at a time!

(At least until I get the next vacation planned!)

1 comment:

Michelle P. said...

You're a brave woman!
I am completely terrified of extended roadtrips with our two kids (4 1/2 and 14 months)! I keep teasing my husband about needing earplugs before we can attempt any trip that lasts longer than a few hours. ;-)