06 December 2010

Spiritual sanity

Shhh....I have the secret you've been looking for! It's the one guranteed to keep your Christmas season sane!

No, it's not getting your Christmas shopping done early.

Not baking ahead of time to fill up the freezer.

Not cutting the tradition of sending Christmas cards.

Not even reading time-saving secrets on blogs! (but of course please finish this one.)

The secret for keeping a peaceful mind over the next three weeks is found in the Bible.

"You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you." Isaiah 26:3

My thoughts have a hard time staying peaceful when I'm mentally planning a billion things at once. Every year I start December with high hopes of not giving in to stress. And to not come up with some brilliant scheme that will make our Christmas perfect if I only add a dozen more things to the treats I want to make and ten more items to the shopping list.

After looking at idea blogs and hearing other moms tell about their beautiful traditions, I usually find myself determined to recreate the same. My imagination runs crazy trying to figure out how to implement that one more thing that will make our celebration perfect.

But this year, I am believing in just one thing to make my Advent season perfect and Christmas day a time of enjoyment. That one thing is to remember Isaiah's words; that when my thoughts are fixed on Jesus, He will keep me in perfect peace.

Ahh...the peace I've been searching for.


"Undisciplined imagination is the greatest disturber not only of growth in grace, but of spiritual sanity." --Oswald Chambers

No comments: