17 December 2010

Surprise blessing

I know four days inside doesn't sound like much, but when you add a four, one year old, and pink eyes into the equation, four days equals eternity.

At their worst, Asher's eyes looked like someone dropped red food coloring inside and rubbed it all around. The boy just looks sick. Meaning Mommy can't even take him for a quick grocery store run pretending everything is fine.

And now our sweet girl's eyes are starting to have the same pinkish tint that Asher's started off with.

So we've skipped school, the Christmas program, the Christmas party, the shopping I planned to do, the grocery shopping I must do. And traded that time for books, discovery of Peter Pan, rediscovery of the beloved cow cuckoo clock, and lots of Kleenexes.

As we look at facing yet another day inside, I'm feeling acceptance and relaxation that we don't have to perform our rushed morning routine to get everyone out of the house on time. I haven't had to capture a squirmy girl to get her dressed and presentable to leave the house. No searching for boots, gloves, scarves, backpacks. And I haven't had to frantically grab for a snack for Amelie.

I quickly moved through all of the grieving stages of my outside freedoms and I think we're content with being here.

The tree is lit. Presents are getting wrapped. Lists for when I do get to see the grocery store again are made.

We are cozy and settled in with our pink eyes. And I'm beginning to love the blessing of pink eye.

No comments: