07 December 2009

A 3 Year Old's Advice

Yesterday Asher freely gave me two pieces of advice. I didn't even ask for his 3 year old parenting tips, but he didn't mind sharing.
About the time we reach the corner of Kroger and Walgreens on our way home from church, we begin asking Asher what he learned in Sunday School. Rather than tell us the direct answer to the question his take home paper tells me he learned about, we spend up to 15 minutes convincing him to share.
Yesterday's question was no exception.
I asked what the angel came to tell Mary?
As expected, he claimed a brain lapse and didn't remember. We continued for the next ten minutes (with the looming threat of no lunch until he told us), until standing in the kitchen, he eventually told me that the angel told Mary she would have a baby!

Every parenting book I've read has stressed the importance of praise, and I agree. I firmly believe in encouraging Asher and try to build his confidence by regularly telling him I'm proud of him.

So when he finally answered the question, I thanked him for answering and told him I was proud of him! But then he threw a twist into all my parenting strategies by telling me,

"Mommy, next time don't be so proud of me!"

What else can I say?

His next piece of advice came as we followed his bedtime routine.

As usual, I lay in bed with him to sing his favorite song. Lately, he likes to sing the song back to me and the recorder in my brain tries desperately to soak in every moment of being close to his little body and hearing his sweet voice. My lips uncontrollably lift in a smile. But this time I received clear instructions.
"Mommy, don't smile when I sing the song."
Again...What can I say?

Bad advice.

What bad advice have you heard today?

No comments: