14 December 2009

Cardboard Testimony

About 10 people gave cardboard testimonies at church yesterday. Reading their short statements painted on large pieces of cardboard reminded me how simply and yet dramatically the Peace of God changes lives.

If Mary, Jesus' mother had written a cardboard testimony her "before" side might have read:

Simple teenager living an average life.

When she flipped it over to the "after" side the transforming gift of God would have allowed her to write:

Mother to the King of the world.

Joseph could have written:

Carpenter wondering how to care for his fiance.

His "after" side could read:

Receiver of not only a divine baby, but gifts to care for him.

The shepherds could say:

Stuck in a monotonous all-night job.

And after a visit from God:

Excitement found at work changed everything.

A true encounter with God's peace changes everything. Hopeless, worrisome, desperate situations become filled with purpose, contentment, and knowledge that good will overcome bad.

I could write many statements testifying of how God's peace has changed my life, but today my cardboard testimony reads:

Lost in a focus on my own abilities to create the perfect life.

And I can flip over that "before" side and now I live

Found by teaming with God who is more than able to do all things.

What is your cardboard testimony today?

No comments: