09 December 2009

Focus on Christ

I'm shifting my focus 180 degrees.

So far this Christmas season, I have spent much time writing and thinking about avoiding the commercial aspects of what Christmas has become. I wrote about this being the most stressful time of the year and about slowing down the pace of Christmas and I realized on Sunday that I've left out what I should be focusing on.

Jesus.



A baby born in Bethlehem over 2000 years ago who came to be Emmanuel, God with us. God who understands how simply the stresses of daily life can make me grumpy. God who knows how quickly distractions can shift my mind away from Him. God who remembers the pain of disappointments.


He understands humanity in the most intimate way, being Creator and yet living perfectly in His created world.

Yes, consumerism threatens me everyday when I open the newspaper or step into a store.

Yes, larger than life Grinches bob at me when I'm out looking at Christmas decorations.

Yes, pressures to exchange cookies and bake my entire repertoire of Christmas treats loom when I walk through my kitchen.

But I don't have to focus on these distractions. Rather than seeing all that is wrong with this "Holiday" season, I am choosing to look at all that is right about Christmas time.

Generosity flows from parents, friends, teachers, and even complete strangers who toss coins into red kettles.

Nativity scenes stand right next to those Grinches and living next to the bah humbugs of the world is exactly what Jesus would do.

The gusts of wind are howling outside this morning, and I think I'll let those winds shift my focus.
Evidences of Christ's advent are everywhere.

Will you join me in seeing them?

1 comment:

Holly said...

Thanks, Angie! May God bless us with eyes to see Him and ears to hear Him in the midst of everything else . . ..