18 January 2010

Books, books, everywhere books!


Hello.

My name is Angie and I am addicted to books.

They pile up on my nightstand.

Walter just found another hidden bookcase in the basement storage room.
I stack them two deep on the wall covered with built-in shelves.

The box in the attic held about 50 more!


Our realtor told us (me) I needed to pack them away before we put the house on the market. So I have been sorting and boxing and my give away pile has grown to about 5.

I struggle to depart with any of my treasured friends.

Just as I look through Asher's toys and see the progression of his interests from dinosaurs to firemen to construction tools to soldiers, I see my life journey through the books that I'm rediscovering.

I uncovered treasured Siberia and Russia adventures from my obsession from wanting to live there. Then there are the deep theology books from when I had time to invest in plodding through rich truths that took my brain 10 minutes per page to comprehend. I've found the women wanderlust ones that make Walter freak out when I open them.

I want to keep telling you about my marriage books, the ones by Hearts at Home authors, the ones I've saved from my grade school days but I know you may not all be so intrigued by the progression of my great love.

But through all the focus on my books this weekend I heard a great reminder from our pastor this Sunday about the most exciting book of all. What if I packed up all of my adventure books, the ones that challenge me to become a better person, the pages filled with love, and focused on the Bible which has all of those elements and more?

God's Word couldn't be more exciting or life changing and I don't read it nearly as often as I should. I don't intend to give up my passion for reading great books but I do hope to control my need to hoard the words I read and challenge myself to spend more time reading the best book that is guaranteed to follow me through all of my evolving life passions.

And now I have books.
Does anyone know of a great way to find new homes for my beloved friends?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm sure some of them would be welcome in the M2M Lending Library :)

Real Reedy said...

Lauren - Thanks for the idea! I might be bringing some in on Wed. I also have a bunch of cooking magazines. Does the library take those? I could just bring them to the swap shop...