20 January 2010

Busy hands

When I worked in my cubicle from 7 - 4:15, my hands pounded away on the keyboard for most of the day. As an editor, I used my favorite red pen to mark up my interns work and sometimes pushed buttons on the telephone to provide information for an executive assistant or the random associate in the pacific northwest.

But now I'm a stay at home mom and touching a keyboard or finding time to complete the big editing project of my dad's book are my escape, the me times of my day.

Most of the time, my hands are immersed in a hundred different jobs throughout the day and yesterday is a prime example.

In the morning, my hands became splattered in milk as I persisted in trying to get Amelie to finish a bottle.

Slow cooked beef was on the menu for dinner, so cow fat and juices ran down my hands while I worked to prepare our evening meal.

After getting Asher to pre-school I wondered if I should be wearing rubber gloves to protect my hands from the grease and harsh chemicals I used to clean off our stove top.

When Amelie woke from her nap with a smelly diaper, I could hardly contain my disgust as I accidentally stuck my hands into the open messy diaper and wondered why my hand had squishy stuff on it (eww!)?

We picked Asher up from school and he sweetly tucked his hand into mine as we navigated the parking lot. And his was the best thing my hand held all day.

But after handling peanut butter and jelly, mushy sweet potatoes and applesauce, my hands tackled cleaning the soot out of our fireplace and praised God that I am not a chimney sweep.

The water I doused on the candles lit in the freshly cleaned fireplace turned to a freaky fireball as I leaped out of the way of a crazy water/fire/chemical reaction. Thankfully it went out and my hands didn't need to grab a fire extinguisher.

Through dish soap, credit card swiping at the grocery store, and food preparation for my mom's group today my hands proved their versatility throughout the rest of the evening.

Then my hands rubbed my little boys back and smoothed his soft hair as I tucked him in for the night and our sweet time made me look forward to all that my mommy hands let me do again today.

What will your hands find you doing today?

No comments: