06 January 2010

My 2010 Story

It's 8 days into the New Year. Are you still sticking with your New Year's resolutions?

I never did which is why I don't make New Years resolutions anymore. But when you all start talking about your weight loss goals and plans to pay off debt during the new year, I feel left out. So this year, I'm so excited that Donald Miller gave me a way to plan for the year without breaking my rule about creating resolutions.


In his post, and in the book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, Donald describes life as as story. The best of our stories are about a character who "wants something and overcomes conflict to get it." He also gave 3 suggestions for planning a life story.


1. Want Something

2. Envision a Climatic Scene

3. Create an Inciting Incident


So now I'm at my decision point of whether I want to create accountability for myself by posting what the stories are I want to live this year.

Ok. I guess if I want to show that I believe in #1 - that I want something, I better prove it by telling. So rather than list them out individually, I simply share a snapshot of my life a year from now if I have lived the 5 stories I hope to.

Next December I will sit at my kitchen table wearing my still crisp 2010 race t-shirt while I watch Asher and Amelie play in the living room. While they are playing, my eyes glance around the room noticing the magazine with my byline on the coffee table and the pile of books to return to the library on the counter by the door. Walter and I will sip our coffee, smile into each others eyes and reminisce over our romantic date the evening before.

(Can you figure out what I want my 2010 stories to be?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You want to win the Jingle Bell Race??? November race would be a crisp t-shirt - long sleeved - for the end of 2010!!