22 January 2010

Letter to my dad

I sent this email to my dad this morning and I post it here first to bring attention to their new holistic ministry - Misgana ministries - doing amazing things in Ethiopia and second to simply brag on my dad.


Dear Dad,

The forecast for as many days as shows up in my Google weather is full of clouds and rain. I supposed that is appropriate considering I am sending my final piece of sunshine to Ethiopia today. I can't believe it is finally finished. The sad thing is that I know if I read through it again there would be more edits. But there is a time for everything to just be done. I find it very appropriate that my part in your book is completed the same weekend that a for sale sign will go in our front yard. The end of eras - although my era as an editor has been much shorter than our era living in this house.

I wondered when we started how many version of edits we would have and thought about separating this one today into two just so we could reach an even number of 40. But I guess I won't be so anal.

It has been my pleasure to edit your book. Even though my comments have been harsh and red bleeds all over the pages, you have an amazing story of how God has brought you to where you are today. I know others will be very interested in reading it. I for one am very proud of where you are. Having parents who live so far away is really hard and many times sad. But I always take comfort knowing you are impacting so many lives and more personally are providing a wonderful example of not settling for an unpassioned disobedient life. Of course this challenges and encourages me, but is even more important as you are now examples to Asher and Amelie. I hope they will be challenged and motivated by what they see their "Grama and Granpa who live in Et-opia" doing.

I can't wait until they are old enough to bring them over there and show them life outside of their structured comfortable world. And I too can't wait to come and see the work in Ziway.

So now what? When will I get to hold "I'm just an Illinois farm boy" in my hands?

Love,
Angie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie-
I can't wait to read this book...especially after spending time in Ethiopia and really getting a feel for the work that they are doing there! And, as always, I love to read your blog...I love your way with words and how naturally writing comes for you...I must not have inherited those genes!

Heidi

SusanRice said...

Hey Angie,
Great letter. You are right, I believe, in honoring your parents' example in living the life of self-sacrifice and hard service. They are a beautiful picture for Asher and Amelie, and all the rest of us, to look on.
The book you've worked on with your dad will be a pleasure to read. I know he's thankful beyond measure for your favorite red pen. :D
Susan