19 March 2010

Dear Amelie

Dear Amelie Hope,
You are ONE! Happy Birthday my sweet girl.

Has it really been a year since I first snuggled with you? When you wiggled and punched inside of me I both winced and smiled. Knowing you were alive and moving filled me with hope that God had redeemed rough times. And then when I held you for the first time my unbelief that I would ever get to hold you turned to reality and I couldn't hold back almost two years worth of tears.
You are truly a gift.

I knew you would be a girl. And whether you like it or not, you have come in to this role as princess very well. Knowing the ups and downs of mother/daughter relationships makes me way more worried about being a good mom to you, but I'm excited to keep on trying. And don't worry I won't let Daddy overprotect you too much just because you are a girl.

Sitting on my hospital bed, I couldn't stop smothering you with kisses and now I love being on the receiving end of your endless wide open mouthed kisses. Slobber has never been so welcome and I wait for more of it

This next year is going to be so fun. Your hair will grow and I can finally brush it into pigtails and tie it with bows. You will became more confident in your walking and will soon be running after your brother. We will get to listen as you learn more words and hear your little girl voice around our house. No doubt, we look forward to discovering more about who God has wired you to be.

And so, we are celebrating you today. Celebrating because you are absolutely worth celebrating for the sweet girl that you are and celebrating because you represent the hope God restored to our family.

Happy First Birthday, Amelie.


Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

Wow, I can't believe she is one already! Happy Birthday Amelie!

robin cornett said...

Awwww....open mouth slobber kisses from babies are the BEST! Happy birthday Amelie!