24 February 2010

5 Lessons from preschool

When I arrived everyone stopped their play to tell me it was Asher's birthday. Many also excitedly told their ages and whether their birthday was next month or if they had turned 4 six months ago. The excitement of a new adult in the room quickly ended and everyone went back to playing dinosaurs, house, or to making creations out of play dough.
Lesson #1: Greet guests with as much enthusiasm as a preschooler and they will immediately feel at ease.

Asher proudly showed me around to different places in the room and pointed out friends who are cool. But then the clean-up bell rang and he scurried off to do what the teachers have trained him to do. I stood amazed at how quickly 4 years can jump into action when it comes to cleaning.
Lesson #2: Get a clean-up bell and expect it to work.

When all the toys were cleaned up everyone took a book and went to their carpet square for library time. Not knowing this was next on the schedule, I tried to talk Asher into showing me something else but he insisted on taking his Peter Pan book back to his square alone.
Lesson #3: Stick to a schedule as much as possible.

I did interrupt library time to take pictures of my boy and his friends. Remember he's not in junior high, but only 3 &4 year old preschool. So I felt comfortable snapping away, confident he wouldn't mind my obvious excitement to record the moment. But I knew I crossed a line when Asher whined, "Mo-om, stop!" All the other kids kept cheesing it up for the camera, but the poor embarrassed son sat there obviously begging me to stop.
Lesson #4: Consider how my actions create long-term emotional consequences for my son.

After washing up, everyone came to the table to sing to the birthday boy and enjoy their sprinkled doughnut. That was the part I most wanted to be there for. I wanted to see Asher be celebrated. Although it looks like he will enjoy the spotlight about as little as his mommy and daddy, the smile he tried to hide kept peeking out and I knew he felt special.
Lesson #5: Know when its time to celebrate kids just for being who they are.

No comments: