25 February 2010

A pet

Every parent eventually must reflect their child's requests for an animal of their own.

I remember begging for years to get a dog before we finally got our shaggy cocker spaniel, Lucky. When she came home, I proudly led her by the red leash all around the yard and fed her morning and night, really I did! She faithfully brought stability to my family for more than 15 years.

I tried having a dog in my adult life, but it just didn't work. So when Walter and I began to feel the parental urge, we decided to get a hedgehog. We loved P.Rick Lee for several years and carried him around with us on the weekends to the farmers market, Coffee Hound, and on walks up and down the trail. He was a great test for parenting and actually the specific parenting we do with a regularly prickly little boy.

Well, that prickly boy put in his first pet petition yesterday and because I'm still chuckling over the conversation, I want to record it here.

Asher: Mom, I want an animal.
Me: Oh, that would be fun, maybe a hedgehog would be nice.
Asher: No, I want a bird.
Me: Really, a bird? I don't like birds, they are noisy.
Asher: But I want a bird.
Me: Well, what color of bird do you want?
Asher: Mom, let's not talk about color, but let's talk about what type of bird.
Me: Ok, what type of bird do you want?
Asher: I want a crow!!

A crow! Not a dog, not a cat, not even a hedgehog. The first animal my son begged for is a crow.

Anyone ever have luck with a pet crow?

1 comment:

megs @ whadusay said...

That is such a funny request. You know I kind of think I remember a story from my dad's childhood where he maybe had a pet crow for a while? I'll have to ask!