23 June 2010

Spurring

Last night I tried to describe spurs and realized I had no idea what I was saying.

My understanding of cowboy equipment has been tested this week during our VBS. I always thought I knew about those sharp pointing things that look like stars until I found myself stumbling through my words praying the preschoolers would somehow get it.

On the way home, Asher described how knights also wear spurs and he didn't know if he wanted boots with his spurs or leg and foot armor. But the question of whether or not there would be spurs didn't occur to him. It was a given.

Apparently Asher is exactly right. Spurs are a symbol of knighthood and an enemy knight often displayed the spurs of the one he defeated as a symbol of victory. Losing spurs was a sign of disgrace.

I kept thinking of the verse from Hebrews reminding me to "spur one another on" so I looked it up this morning to see what God wants me to be spurring others on to.

The answer? Love and Good Works.

Exactly what I've been in need of encouragement towards. Apathy sets in so easily around here, and I really could use some spurring on especially towards letting my faith make a difference in the way I live.

Not wanting a rider to get carried away, horse riders and animal rights activists advocate for the proper use of spurs so the horse doesn't get hurt as it is prompted on. A heel dug in too far or poked in the wrong direction could do much more damage than good in prompting the horse toward the goal.

A word spoken with a judgmental attitude or at the wrong time could do equally as much damage as a spur in the side.

And so my friends, I impart my new found knowledge of spurring with the expectation of being encouraged as I look for opportunities to encourage others on our race to the prize.

No comments: