22 June 2010

What would you do?

I wonder if I'm a horrible parent a couple of times every day.

My questioning is usually related to little things like wondering what the teachers might think if they realize Asher has on two pairs of underwear today.

Or wondering why the nursery workers used to put socks on my baby girl's feet in the middle of summer?

Other times I'm convinced the choice I've made will not win me a mother of the year award, but I don't renege pleading for my sanity.

Last night was one of those choices.
Thanks to prayers for some kind of sibling truce, when Amelie woke up from her nap, Asher decided to throw a billion blankets into her crib and climb in for a snuggling fest. Of course she loved it, after all her big brother was paying nice attention to her.

When Walter walked in the door from work without the usual madness, he wondered if I had shipped the kids back to the old house - and then he joined me in listening to the monitor to hear Asher saying sweet things to his sister and Amelie giggling away.

Were those really our kids playing together nicely?

What would a good parent do at that point?

Quickly set the table and dish up the meal taking advantage of the opportunity to eat without interruption, of course!

And that's exactly what we did. We enjoyed our entire meal sitting at the kitchen table without pleading for Asher to take a bite or struggling to keep up with a girl who eats faster than we can give her food.
Next time I'll get out the candles and turn on the soft music, just like a good parent would do.

No comments: