19 April 2010

Chop it down!

Asher had a run in with a tree this weekend. When the Knight gets hurt, I wouldn't say he handles his wound with grace, yet. We usually listen to shouts about the fact that he will never feel better in his whole life or that the scrape on his knee will be there forever.

And he has plenty to say about whatever inanimate object attacked him.

Saturday it was a hydrangea bush. Moments earlier, he climbed about six inches off the ground into its branches and declared his new perch to be in the best tree ever and the next minute he wanted to chop that tree down. In those few seconds between love and hate he fell out of his best tree friend and gained a scrape along his neck that of course will never ever feel better.

For the past 24 hours the bush lurks outside our backdoor as the enemy. When we walk past or even when we're doing something completely different, Asher reminds us that we need to cut down that bush.

Wouldn't it be great if it were that easy? There are a few things that have wounded me that I wish I could just get rid of! The desire to retaliate is so intense that Asher's honest words about what to do with an attacker verbalize what I want to do with the things that cause me pain.

Who wants to face the enemy everyday? Whether it be a friend who has wounded me, a jester hat that I can't knit up right or a bush that I fall out of, getting rid of the problem sounds like a better plan than overcoming and even trying again.

Wow does it mean that if I want Asher to let go of resentment and try something again that I need to learn the same lesson?

Why do my kids seem to inherit the same issues I want to run away from? Somehow seeing it in him intensifies my realization of my problem spots. I think God has a sense of humor that way.

No comments: