02 April 2010

Busy Night

It's been a busy night.

No I haven't been awake with a crying baby or insomnia. But today I recognize that early in the morning some 2000 years ago, while ordinary families slept, Jesus endured trials and mockings. As I lay snug under the covers of my comfortable bed soldiers led Jesus from Jewish priests to Roman rulers, back and forth until ultimately selfish pride ordered his death sentence.

It's been a busy night.

While my body refreshed itself with sleep allowing this flesh to be full of renewed expectation for another day, they mangled Jesus' body. After he surrendered himself to the detachment of soldiers armed with spears the physical torment began. With floggings, thorns pressed into his forehead, and spit dripping down his face, Jesus' body bled and muscles began to weaken.

It's been a busy night.

The soldiers, Roman officials, and Jewish religious leaders carried out the sentencing and torture so many years ago, but it happened because of me. My pride, my selfishness, my angry words, my critical spirit did it. For my sins, Jesus allowed Himself to be condemned.

Although I slept soundly, it's been a busy night.

No comments: